Thursday, October 21, 2010

Crit on 3D project 2


In all I think it went well, most people liked it. 

Good points: the craftsmanship was meticulous and orderly, good use of lighting, good choice of display location (other than the small size), form was left up to viewers interpretation, shadows worked well, material became hard to recognize due to way it was used (I think that’s a good thing), nails made a nice border

Bad points: nails were longer than I thought they were so the backer board was punctured and splintered (my crit of the piece), the board looked like a chunk of plywood, the nails took away from the piece (this point came up on both side)

Suggestions made: nail the paper directly to the wall (I hadn’t thought of it and when that was suggested I couldn’t believe I hadn’t, but it would have been an installation piece then and I kind of want it back at some point)

Personal crit: the wood was left unpainted and unstained to show the natural aspect of the paper, the striped layers of the hardwood plys were intended to echo the layers of the paper.  However, as I feared, the board was not noticeable enough to draw attention to the aspects that I intended thus the point of the backer plat was lost all together.  The nails I choose were at first simply place holders to keep the paper aliened but when I say the contrast of industrial and natural along with the complementary nature of the colors and conflicting forms of hard round heads with diamond print with soft lines of the paper I decided to use them to mount the piece.  Again, it would seem the main focal point of the piece overpowered the meaning of the smaller elements.  Also, the nails were too long; this was due to a measuring mistake where in I did not calculate the compression of the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment