Saturday, September 18, 2010

Recap of cardboard project and pictures of final product.

Here is the recap of the process I used to make my cardboard sculpture, les the failed attempts.

         Dumpers dived at an auto body shop, auto parts come in large thick boxes to protect from damage.

      I then cut rough circulars of cardboard and laminated them together using wood glue that I rolled on to each layer.  Once glued I stacked the cardboard and placed weights on top of the stack and allowed to dry overnight under compression.  This is the same process I used to make the stem.
1.       Next I took the laminated mass and cut a rough spherical shape using an electric saw and hand sander.  With the stem I took the stack and cut a rough shape out with a band saw.

1.       After I had decided to turn the ball on my homemade wood lathe things went faster.  I used a high strength cloth backed course grit sand paper and shaped the ball on the lathe.

I then took the stem and shaped it using a hand sander.


1.       I used solid core cardboard for the spikes.  I could not find a place that sold this so I cannibalized it from the back of several sketch books I had.  I cut spikes and a rough curve shape as close to fitting as I could with a band saw and with a drimel like tool honed it down closer to the profile.   
  

      Then I glued the whole lot together it was done.

1.       The last thing I did was make a stand.  I took some scrap Lexan (Plexiglas) and using a Pin measurer I found the circumference of the ball.  I transferred this to the Lexan and cut it out with the band saw and made two interlocking notches that held the stand together. 



Critique
The material was handled well and in such a way that it became lost and hand to be studied to see what it was made of.  The abstract style of the work left it up to interpretation by the audience.  The use of geometric shapes mirrored one another and created a feeling of rhythm.  The use of the stand was liked and felt necessary by most, unfortunately it kind of seemed the teachers did not share this opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment