Saturday, September 11, 2010

update on cardboard project and DIY wood lathe pics

The right tool for the right job is not always available so make it.
I use to have a wood lathe which would have made short work of this project if the motor hadn’t burned up and the whole thing scrapped without my knowledge.   So I have tried a number of saws, sanders, grinders and just about anything I could think of to shape this thing.  Nothing has worked well and the ball is completely uneven, which would not be such a big deal except the idea I am working towards is stylized and I think it will add something to the piece to have everything as close to perfection as possible.  This way the piece will be an idealized version of nature.  So, not satisfied with the shape and unable to find a tool that worked I decided that make it myself.  I took 2by4s and drilled holes in them I then drilled a hole through my ball.  I placed a threaded rob through the ball and 2by4s and locked the ball down with washers and nuts and clamped the 2by4s to saw horses.  I chucked my rig into a drill and made my very rudimentary wood lathe.   After a good two hours or so of sanding, bloody nose and three missing knuckles later and I got what i have now.  It’s still not perfect but is a hell of a lot closer and I’m now happy with the shape.  I also finished carving and sanding the stem.  All I have is the spikes left.


Looking pretty good I think

No comments:

Post a Comment